Note: This post hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
What is the best eCommerce platform? We asked that question in a recent forum thread, and asked you to help us by answering a poll. What were the top four responses? Read on to find out. The answer might surprise you!
The poll ran for a week, and attracted the responses of 226 community members. That’s quite a lot of opinions! Here’s where the votes went.
The Community’s Favourite eCommerce Solution
Four eCommerce platforms stood head and shoulders above the rest:
- WordPress/WooCommerce made up almost half of the votes (48.02%).
- OpenCart and Magento had almost equal shares in one quarter of the votes (12.78% and 12.33%).
- PrestaShop won 8.30% of the votes.
Next in line were those who prefer to build their eCommerce solutions from scratch (5.73%). The remaining 12.77% was shared among Joomla, Shopify, Drupal and “no preference”.
Developers vs. Non-developers
In the poll we distinguished between developers and non-developers – over two thirds of the respondents were developers. What differences did we find between the two groups?
- WooCommerce, OpenCart and PrestaShop had similar popularity in both groups.
- Magento is far more popular among developers.
- No non-developers build their own eCommerce solutions from scratch.
If you’re like me and love details, here are some high-res pie charts with all the data.
Did not specify (question was left blank):
What About the Rest of the World?
Our survey gives us an excellent insight into the favourites in our own community. How does that compare to what’s actually being used in the world at large?
Elite ThemeForest author GravityDept let us know about some insights Tom Robertshaw gained from a survey done earlier this year on 34,864 eCommerce sites in the Alexa Top 1 Million. Here are some comparisons with our own poll.
- WordPress is nowhere to be seen. It seems to be a small subsection of “Other”, amounting to around 10% of Magento.
- Magento is huge, and dominates the chart by far.
- OpenCart and PrestaShop are fairly popular, but not as popular as in our community.
Tom’s post includes a second graph narrowing in on Alexa’s Top 100K sites. On this graph, Magenta is even more popular, and the others less popular.
The article also contains simple line graphs of each platform to show whether they have been growing or declining since October 2012. It’s worth checking out.
The eCommerce Sampler Pack
Here’s your chance to trial the Top 4 eCommerce platforms: The eCommerce Sampler Pack. Get $240 worth of files for just $20, including monthly updates for three months.
Hurry, this pack is only available for a limited time. Offer ends 3rd December, at 12pm AEDT.
What’s your favourite eCommerce platform? What did you learn from our poll? Which item in the pack best meets your needs? Let us know in the comments.