This post hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
Well, it’s Sunday night already – I’m posting much later this week. I’ve still been battling the flu, and ran out of energy on Friday before I wrote this piece. One great (I think!) thing about working from a home office, is that you can still get lots of work done when you’re not feeling great. I’ve always hated taking time off work – and I didn’t miss one day of school during my final three years.
It’s been a sick year! My wife has been off work most of the week with the same bug, and I’ve heard of a few other Envato employees from around the globe with similar symptoms. Have you been suffering from lots of illness this year?
And speaking of suffering, I’ve heard a few sad stories this week. It seems that Yammer – the social network the team uses – has become Envato’s Dear Abbie! A couple of team members shared (at great length) their sufferings and frustrations this week – one with Apple and the other with a roommate. They milked it for everything they could get, and received back long threads of sympathy. Poor guys. But it’s great to work for an organization where your team mates pat you on the back and say “Ohhhh” very sincerely!
This Week’s Highlights
We’ve had a busy week, with the WordPress bundle of the century, new changes to the marketplace, the launch of a new member of the Tuts+ family, a new Rockable book, and an armful of free files. Here are the top stories we’ve covered:
- Licensing Tweaks & Updates
- AppStorm Content Changes
- Celebrating the 10th Member of the Tuts+ Family: Webdesigntuts+
- New Rockable Book: iPhone App Entrepreneur
- Grab the Ultimate WordPress Deal – While You Can! – just 2.5 days to go
- ActiveDen: “Coming Soon” is Here Now!
- New Category on 3DOcean: Animation Data
- Referral Totals – A New Marketplace Feature for Authors
- Freebie Friday – Free Files of the Month
Blog Action Day
Friday was Blog Action Day, the day bloggers around the world get serious about raising awareness about issues that affect our planet. This year’s theme was “Water”. Blog Action Day is a worldwide initiative started by Envato founders Collis and Cyan, and is now being run by Change.org.
Well, writers on all our blogs got creative, and got the message out about conserving water, and the need around the world for clean water. If you’d like to check out these pearls of wisdom, here they are:
- Psdtuts+: Create a Wallpaper for Blog Action Day
- Nettuts+: 30+ Water-Inspired Websites: BAD 2010
- Vectortuts+: BAD 2010 – Clear Information in Water Inspired Infographics
- Audiotuts+: Blog Action Day 2010 – Water
- Aetuts+: Blog Action Day 2010 Water Themed Roundup
- Activetuts+: Blog Action Day: Clean up With a Beautiful Watery Game
- Cgtuts+: Six ways to create Condensation in 3DsMax Pt2 – BAD 2010
- Phototuts+: Photography and Water: How You Can Make a Difference
- Mobiletuts+: Blog Action Day: Water App Roundup
- Webdesigntuts+: In-Depth Design Review of charitywater.org – BAD 2010
- FreelanceSwitch: 6 Ways Freelancers Can Go Green
- WorkAwesome: Blog Action Day 2010: How to Save Water One Work Day at a Time
- Mac.AppStorm: Blog Action Day: Get Your Mac Involved!
- Web.AppStorm: Blog Action Day: Web Apps for Water
- iPhone.AppStorm: Help Solve the World’s Water Problems With Your iPhone
Great work team!
Envato Mail – Our Monthly Newsletter
Envato Mail came out this week. It’s our information-packed monthly newsletter delivered directly to your inbox. It’s a great way to keep up to date with all the happenings around Envato. Subscribe today!
CodeCanyon: Lowering Extended License Charge
This week Jeffrey Way announced a drop in CodeCanyon’s Extended License charge. An extended license is used in circumstances where you need to redistribute the item you purchased. Until now we’ve charged 25 times the normal cost of the item.
Starting this week, we’ve dropped the rates from 25x all the way down to the far more attractive 5-7x. This should result in substantially more extended license sales each month!
For more details, see the original forum thread.
Well, that’s it from me this week. If I’ve missed something important that happened, let us know in the comments!